Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The abyss

I’m going to share something a little embarrassing with you today… the inside of my handbag!  

The outside is lovely, it’s soft red leather with brass accents. It’s not something I would normally pick for myself but the Mister brought it back from Italy for me 2 years ago (along with another bag) and I love it. It has lasted and lasted and will be around for a while yet, I’m sure.

But the inside…. wowzer! I can fit sooo much into this bag which is great but it’s almost like I see that as a challenge, heh heh! There is a zippered section down the middle so if we’re out and about I tend to pop the girls’ things into one side and my things into the other to make it easier to find things. But I think I need to go beyond that, go deeper, organise and corral more.  And stop chucking in lipglosses and pens ‘just in case’!!!
Please behold the majesty and the horror of my bag on any given workday:

(click to see larger)

I’ve been looking at a few solutions.

I could buy a handbag organiser. Target has them for $10 but they look pretty ugly. 

There are plenty of tutorials for them like this one from The Giving Flower 


But I don’t know if that might just get annoying and make it difficult to access the things I need.

This one 



from etsy store divide and conquer might be better but I hate the idea of pulling something out and tugging the whole thing out, and also it looks too big for my bag.

I could always purchase a pattern like this one from another etsy seller, OnceUponAStitchInc





Or buy a bunch of cute little pouches like these from David Jones


So...... what do you do? How do you organise your handbag? What would you recommend I do? 

Laura xx

6 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to make one (I have basic sewing "skills" or buy one (keep resisting spending $40 on the decent ones.
    If I do sew it I plan to do one similar to the Giving flower - rolled up ones seem really good!

    Deb - home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is a schmozzle! Everything gets tossed in... with the exception of my mobile, which has it's own little pocket which I DO use. Mine is actually a mish mash of my things and the kidlets things. Loving the little insert organiser thingys, they're a great idea! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a similar bag to you and when i brought it i swore it would be organized,to some extent it is.I have a small zippered purse/bag from Rubi Shoes that i keep pens,panadol,band aids and all smaller itemsin basically it is bursting at the seems but is far easier looking through something small than big.
    Bigger items just get chucked into my bag,i now refuse to carry any one else things as well,they have bags/pockets and they can use them.
    Not sure about those handbag things they look like i am off to do some craft at a friends house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Deb my 'meaning to do....' list is eleventy billion metres long. I should just accept that I don't have as much free time as I *think* that i do and just outsource/buy more stuff instead of waiting to make it myself!

    Jules... my mobile is usually in my pocket or tucked into my bra strap... classy ;o)

    Ooh, Marie, i like the logic of looking through something small instead of something big!

    I think I might buy one of the ugly Target organisers and just see whether it is actually useful to me or whether I still just chuck things in and if it's useful, maybe I'll make one myself or just buy a nice handmade one. If it's pretty, I'll use it, right? ;o)

    And I think I really need to get a little pouch for my makeup.

    marie, are Rubi Shoes new? It says we have a half a dozen stores here in WA but I'd never heard of them before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura
    i am not sure if they are new or not i think they are part of the Cotton On Chain.
    We first came across them in Melbourne while shopping there.We are now lucky enough to have one in Bendigo.Great for cheap shoes,i have a 14 year old girl so we both get shoes there for summer,some last for ages some last for not so long.The little purse i got measures about 17cm long and 11cm wide with a zippered opening,if you can sew very easy to make i was being extremely lazy in buying it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Marie,

    I love shoes so I think I'll have to make a point of checking it out!!

    ReplyDelete