Thursday, October 13, 2011

Campfire


I don’t know what it’s like where you are, but here in Perth it is definitely starting to warm up! We’ve begun sleeping with the windows open a crack and I’m waking up to warm sunshine instead of cold darkness.

The warmer weather means spending more time outdoors which I love because I’m a very outdoorsy person (not in a jet-skiing kind of way,  more of a barefoot-on-the-grass kind of way) which is probably part of the reason why I loved Girl Guides so much. I loved sitting around the campfire in the evening,  warm mug of milky Milo in hand, smoke in the air, hypnotised by the dancing flames, a feeling of magic and excitement in the air.

We live in the ‘burbs and my babies are too young to be around open flame so obviously we don't campfire-it-up often ever. So I made a 'safe' campfire out of some things we had at home. 


You will need:
  • A light source (we used a flickering lantern, but you could use a battery-operated tealight or a solar light if you unscrew the base)
  • Tissue paper (yellow and orange)
  • Cardboard (for base)
  • Stapler
  • cardboard rolls for 'logs' or real sticks, rocks etc
Layer the card, then the orange tissue then the yellow tissue. Staple together.




make sure the stapled area is roughly the same size as your light source (definitely no smaller)

Lift up the tissue and staple the 'logs' onto the cardboard, being sure not to encroach on the area the lightsource will cover. (Or you could cut the card back a bit and weight the edges down with real sticks or rocks) 


Turn on the light source and place into the middle

Bunch up the tissue paper then let go





Turn off the lights and enjoy your campfire. 
(and secretly wish you had an iPhone so you could take decent pics) 


EDIT: Yay, I got onto a computer to upload my camera pics (the last time I was on a computer that I could uplaod pics to was before we actually 'lit' the campfire). Behold:






This one is after Bella decided to open it up a bit. It looks like a really roaring fire now, doesn't it?

1 comment:

  1. I want an iphone too! Super cute idea for creating lovely memories for your kids.

    ReplyDelete