Monday, October 17, 2011

Hallowe'en sherbert

With only two weeks until Hallowe'en I thought I'd share a cool little recipe for sherbert that I used to make a lot in my highschool days.



The ingredients are basic, you possibly already have them in your pantry and if not, the whole lot can be found in the baking aisle and will cost you under $10. 


  • 3 tablespoons Icing sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Bi carb soda (not baking powder)
  • 1 tablespoon Citric acid
  • 1 tablespoon Tartaric acid
  • Food colouring (optional)



Step One
Put the icing sugar and bicarb into a ziplock bag and shake/mix. Add a drop or two of food colouring if you wish, close the bag and massage/shake the colour into the powder. Mix throroughly and only add one drop at a time, you can always add more later. The colours will be more vibrant in the mouth (wet) so don't go crazy!

Step Two
Add citric acid and tartaric acid. Mix. Taste. Adjust quantities if needed

Step Three
Place into small ziplock bags and add a lollipop, licorice piece or popstick.


It couldn't be any easier!

The paper I used for the label and the background are free printables from here . You could also make your own labels and call it "frightful fizz" or something similar for a Hallowe'en party or handing out to Trick Or Treaters. I used to crush up fruit tingles lollies and those too. Or, because this fizzes when it gets wet, you could add a spoonful to green cordial for a fizzing green monster drink or a crazy potion!!!!

Please note- this sherbert is essentially sugar, acid and food dye. Give to your children at your own peril!! ;o)

Do you celebrate Hallowe'en at your house? 

Laura xx

No comments:

Post a Comment