Here's something we do sometimes before we go shopping.
I give Bella a catalogue, exercise book, scissors and glue and let her cut out and glue in some pictures from the catalogue.
Sometimes we theme them, ie she picks pretend dinners, or things she'd like, sometimes I pick out items that are on my actual shopping list, sometimes she just cuts out random pictures.
This also keeps her happy and occupied for about ten minutes while i make sure I have nappies for Ashley, my shopping list, my keys, pry Ashley away from whatever she's doing etc.
Then when we get to the shops, Bella excitedly crosses things off her list. We try and match the pics exactly (ie 'walker" size Huggies brand nappies) (ie brand, size etc) but you could always just match the type of item (ie just find nappies or shampoos etc)
I believe that the best learning (especially in childhood) happens naturally and over time, rather than through formal instruction. I believe that everything is an opportunity for communication and therefore a learning opportunity. And I also believe in keeping things simple, cheap and fun. The catalogues are free, exercise books are FIVE CENTS in the back to school sales at the moment, glue and scissors are only a few dollars if you don't have them already.
This activity can be used to focus on:
- Manual skills such as cutting, handling, gluing
- Colour recognition
- Letter recognition/reading
- Problem solving
- Being helpful (helping to shop)
- Healthy and not-as-healthy foods
- Advertising
- or whatever conversation it sparks off naturally
Laura xx

much more fun than the safeway app for the i-phone
ReplyDeleteHaha Marie, I still have my own proper shopping list but I like to use the old fashioned paper shopping list and tick things off and write myself little notes about meal plans and stuff.
ReplyDeleteNice one Laura, this is a great idea and might steal it for my girls to do, they love the cutting and pasting!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea! i will tell my sister about this for my nephew. I even think i need for my self. Thankyou Laura:)
ReplyDeleteNow that is just a simply great idea!! I am so going to try that out!! Thank you!!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea! When I have children (sooner than later, I hope) I will keep this in mind.
ReplyDelete